Monday, July 9, 2012

"Everybody Googles"

The first document is a resignation letter from Eleanor Roosevelt to the Daughters of the American Revolution. She resigned in protest to the DAR banning Marian Anderson from performing at Constitution Hall. The search strings I used for this document were the date, and the Daughters of the American Revolution.
   First I started my search with Google, which brought me to a number of different links. I first tried the federal library link, which seems to be a creditable site. Then I tried the national archives.gov link, which seems to be even more reliable source of information. I also tried a link that brought me to a site for past published newspapers, but it required a subscription.
   I feel that the archives .gov web site is more creditable site for this type of information. This site is specifically setup for the recording of historical events.

The second document is a map of the freedom riders of 1961. This activist group set out to desegregate bus terminals.
The search strings I used to research this were; ap news features, April 22 through Dec 1,ap news features map, freedom riders, and freedom riders map. First I tried Google and I could barely find anything until coming across virginiamemory.com. Could only find on link, until searching Bing. This lead me to numerous links which eventually brought me to the library of congress.
   I believe the that the library of congress site is the most reliable.

   The third document is a complaint against a woman named Rosa Parks. She was a black woman that refused to move to the back of the bus in 1955 when segregation laws were in effect. I search through Google and the strings I used were, Dec 1 1955 city of Montgomery, I didn’t find much until I a cite that included the empire theater. Which then lead me to another that listed the Rosa Parks library and museum in Montgomery.
   This site included relative dates and locations which gave me more string information, which in turn lead me to Montgomery. troy and then onto montgomeryboycott.com. All these sites seem to reputable.

The fourth document was a roll call for a bill that was being voted on. It would be the first page of a 56 page long bill that would incorporate civil rights legislation. The first strings led me to government sites that just confused the hell out of me. Then I tried it a different way, I tried the library of congress 88th session and the date feb 10 1964.
   Finally I got some understandable results, first it brought me to Black Americans in Congress “Keeping the Faith” and then to Congress link.org. Congresslink.org definitely seems to be the more reputable site.

   I have found this quest to be a challenge and frustrating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment